My more than ten years’ experience as a user-centered designer and developer for web sites, mobile applications and software complements and enhances my background as a content producer. This combination of technical and editorial expertise makes me uniquely qualified to create engaging, relevant content, as well as know how best to deliver that content to the right audience.
Founder and Principal, www.yankeekitchenninja.com Jericho, VT [7/2010 – present]
Produce an award-winning food blog, emphasizing healthy recipes, local ingredients and instructional techniques.
- Research and select recipes for adaptation, based on current food trends, seasonality and reader feedback
- Test and/or develop new recipes according to weekly production schedule
- Create original editorial content (at least twice per week) and provide accompanying food styling, photography and photo-editing
- Monitor (daily) site analytics
- Manage (daily) all social media and marketing presences
- Winner, 2012 Weblog Award in the Best-Kept Secret category
Freelance Writer and Content Producer, Jericho, VT [7/2010-present]
Produce feature-length articles, blog posts and compilation pieces for a variety of publications.
- Quarterly: Edible Green Mountains magazine
- Monthly: Vermont Life magazine's web site
- Weekly: DIY web site Tipsaholic.com (to be launched October 2013)
Senior User Experience Designer, RSA: The Security Division of EMC, Durham, NC [8/2009 – 5/2010]
Provided user experience (UX) analysis and design for enterprise-level data loss prevention software.
- Performed a heuristic evaluation of the existing product suite and created a UX improvement roadmap
- Conducted client interviews and stakeholder design sessions for requirements gathering
- Collaborated with product managers and subject matter experts to develop requirements for product releases and then communicated those requirements and design through UX deliverables: task flows, wireframes, low-fidelity prototypes
User Experience Designer, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, Durham, NC [2/2008 – 7/2009]
Provided full-spectrum UX design support for the state’s largest health insurance provider.
- Collaborated with business owners and project stakeholders to capture project-level requirements
- Conducted heuristic evaluations and competitive analyses to support web site redesign efforts
- Conducted user research (lab-based usability testing, contextual inquiries, web stats analysis)
- Developed UX design (UXD) documentation: interaction design flows and wireframes, information architecture diagrams, paper prototypes, test reports
- Led UX design and research activities for Web Office Agile development team
Senior User Experience Designer & Creative Services Team Lead, Motricity Inc., Durham, NC [12/2005 - 1/2008]
Led all creative and UXD activities for mobile development company.
- Managed and mentored Creative Services team; provided creative direction to contract design firms
- Analyzed business and client requirements to develop interaction design flows and wireframes for wireless information portals and storefronts, including Cingular/AT&T, Alltel Wireless, Leap Wireless, Tracfone, Bell Mobility, MTV and BET
- Created standard company user experience documentation templates and notation system
- Developed core system software "white label" web interaction flows and wireframes for use by sales team
- Conducted heuristic evaluations and competitive analyses to help define company product roadmap
- Served as charter member of Innovation Review Board, a peer-elected team that solicited, evaluated, funded and mentored employee-initiated development projects to support the corporate portfolio
Senior Web Developer/Team Lead, North Carolina Central University, Durham, NC [contract: 8/2005 - 12/2005]
Provided redesign, development and web team management expertise to the IT department; reported directly to the university CIO.
- Supervised a team of junior web designers/developers
- Created a phased development strategy and schedule for university web site redesign
- Created pre-redesign interim design/code template
- Compiled user research data on target audiences and conducted competitive web analyses
- Redesigned campus intranet home page; created a page-level self-publishing system for content creators
- Designed layout and drafted content strategy for new student portal
- Drafted campus IT web policy
Senior Web Designer, Duke Clinical Research Institute, Durham, NC [contract: 2/2005 - 8/2005]
Design and develop web sites and application interfaces for the world’s largest academic clinical research organization.
- Translated business and user experience requirements into functional, user-centered interfaces
- Optimized visual designs for cross-browser and cross-platform compatibility
- Created or revised site information architectures and perform content inventories
- Updated team development process and workflow documentation for improved product consistency
Senior Web Designer, Automobile Club of Southern California, Costa Mesa, CA [2000 - 2004]
Provided information architecture (IA), design, development and usability expertise for four e-commerce sites with multiple business lines for the nation's largest AAA affiliate; IA and XHTML Lead for first complete site redesign in over seven years.
- Created information architecture for site redesign (5,000+ pages)
- Performed line-of-business content inventories and analyses
- Designed site UI, created all XHTML page templates and style guides and wrote/edited marketing web copy
- Created online travel strategy, based on analysis of user feedback, industry forecasts and internal marketing research
- Created annual comprehensive competitive analysis of top travel web sites for senior executives
- Provided analysis of web metrics for key content and applications
- Scheduled, assigned and tracked all online travel content and maintenance projects
Publications Specialist, Energetics, Inc., Columbia, MD [1998 - 2000]
Provided editorial and web development support to government and industrial clients of energy consulting firm.
- Wrote and prepared technical materials (reports, brochures, briefings, program plans, fact sheets, proposals) and communication products (press advisories, newsletters, feature articles, speeches)
- Created and taught a writing course for junior staff
- Designed information architecture and edited content for client sites
- Oversaw core development team of engineers, programmers and graphic artists
- Coordinated and conducted client reviews
Technical Publications Lead for Defense Public Affairs, Teledyne Brown Engineering, Huntsville, AL [1996 - 1998]
Provided both editorial/content and public relations support to a variety of U.S. Department of Defense clients.
- Wrote, edited and produced technical documents (proposals, user manuals, test plans and reports, briefings, white papers) and corporate publications (newsletters, spec sheets)
- Wrote scripts, speeches, articles and press advisories
- Designed information architecture for prototype customer web sites
- Developed documentation standards/style sheets for individual programs
- Analyzed and reviewed customer publication needs (photography, video, CD, print)
- Oversaw publications team (coordinated graphics, design, photography, scheduling and production)
Columnist, Mount Holyoke College Alumnae Quarterly [1991 - 2001]
Selected to compose quarterly class news column for alumnae magazine and maintain data on over 500 women worldwide.
Assistant Director of Medical Alumni Affairs, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA [1995 - 1996]
Assisted the Executive Director with the planning, coordination and implementation of alumni programs and events.
- Created the information architecture for the Office of Development and Alumni Affairs web site
- Designed, wrote and edited newsletters and direct mail pieces
- Wrote and edited alumni section of the medical quarterly Tulane Medicine
MA in English, University of South Carolina, 1994
BA cum laude (major: English), Mount Holyoke College, 1991
awards & affiliations
- Board of Directors, Mount Holyoke College Alumnae Association
- Board of Trustees, Jericho (VT) Town Library
- President & Reunion Planner, Mount Holyoke College Class of 1991
- The Information Architecture Institute (IAI)
- Interaction Design Association (IxDA)
- Achievement Award, Society for Technical Communication, Washington, DC Chapter (1999-2000 Technical Publications Competition)
Please see my press and samples page for online samples of my published work.
UXD samples are available upon request.
I currently live in the Burlington, Vermont area but would be pleased to discuss both local and remotely located opportunities.
- voice: 919-265-3181
- email: info (at) juliannepuckett (dot) com
write . design