My extensive experience as a user-centered designer and developer for web sites, mobile applications and software complements and enhances my background as a content producer and strategist. I use this combination of expertise to create compelling content, optimized for the right channel to reach the target audience.
Digital Content Developer and Strategist [7/2010 - present]
Provide freelance editorial and strategic content services, including writing, editing, search engine optimization and SEO copywriting, information architecture and user experience design across a variety of channels. Clients include
Founder and Principal, YankeeKitchenNinja.com [7/2010 - present]
Produce an award-winning food blog, emphasizing healthy recipes, local ingredients and instructional techniques.
- Research, develop and test original recipes, based on current food trends, seasonality and reader feedback
- Create and maintain monthly editorial calendar
- Create original editorial content (at least twice per week) and provide accompanying food styling, photography and photo-editing
- Monitor site analytics (daily)
- Apply SEO techniques as appropriate
- Manage all social media and marketing presences (daily), including
- Winner, 2012 Weblog Award in the Best-Kept Secret category
Senior User Experience Designer, RSA: The Security Division of EMC, Durham, NC [8/2009 - 5/2010]
Provided user experience (UX) analysis and design for enterprise-level data loss prevention software.
- Performed a heuristic evaluation of the existing product suite and created a UX improvement roadmap
- Conducted client interviews and stakeholder design sessions for requirements gathering
- Collaborated with product managers and subject matter experts to develop requirements for product releases and then communicated those requirements and design through UX deliverables: task flows, wireframes, low-fidelity prototypes
User Experience Designer, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, Durham, NC [2/2008 - 7/2009]
Provided full-spectrum UX design support for the states largest health insurance provider.
- Collaborated with business owners and project stakeholders to capture project-level requirements
- Conducted heuristic evaluations and competitive analyses to support web site redesign efforts
- Conducted user research (lab-based usability testing, contextual inquiries, web stats analysis)
- Developed UX design (UXD) documentation: interaction design flows and wireframes, information architecture diagrams, paper prototypes, test reports
- Led UX design and research activities for Web Office Agile development team
Senior User Experience Designer & Creative Services Team Lead, Motricity Inc., Durham, NC [12/2005 - 1/2008]
Led all creative and UXD activities for mobile development company.
- Managed and mentored Creative Services team; provided creative direction to contract design firms
- Analyzed business and client requirements to develop interaction design flows and wireframes for wireless information portals and storefronts, including Cingular/AT&T, Alltel Wireless, Leap Wireless, Tracfone, Bell Mobility, MTV and BET
- Created standard company user experience documentation templates and notation system
- Developed core system software "white label" web interaction flows and wireframes for use by sales team
- Conducted heuristic evaluations and competitive analyses to help define company product roadmap
- Served as charter member of Innovation Review Board, a peer-elected team that solicited, evaluated, funded and mentored employee-initiated development projects to support the corporate portfolio
Senior Web Developer/Team Lead, North Carolina Central University, Durham, NC [contract: 8/2005 - 12/2005]
Provided redesign, development and web team management expertise to the IT department; reported directly to the university CIO.
- Supervised a team of junior web designers/developers
- Created a phased development strategy and schedule for university web site redesign
- Created pre-redesign interim design/code template
- Compiled user research data on target audiences and conducted competitive web analyses
- Redesigned campus intranet home page; created a page-level self-publishing system for content creators
- Designed layout and drafted content strategy for new student portal
- Drafted campus IT web policy
Senior Web Designer, Duke Clinical Research Institute, Durham, NC [contract: 2/2005 - 8/2005]
Design and develop web sites and application interfaces for the worlds largest academic clinical research organization.
- Translated business and user experience requirements into functional, user-centered interfaces
- Optimized visual designs for cross-browser and cross-platform compatibility
- Created or revised site information architectures and perform content inventories
- Updated team development process and workflow documentation for improved product consistency
Senior Web Designer, Automobile Club of Southern California, Costa Mesa, CA [2000 - 2004]
Provided information architecture (IA), design, development and usability expertise for four e-commerce sites with multiple business lines for the nation's largest AAA affiliate; IA and XHTML Lead for first complete site redesign in over seven years.
- Created information architecture for site redesign (5,000+ pages)
- Performed line-of-business content inventories and analyses
- Designed site UI, created all XHTML page templates and style guides and wrote/edited marketing web copy
- Created online travel strategy, based on analysis of user feedback, industry forecasts and internal marketing research
- Created annual comprehensive competitive analysis of top travel web sites for senior executives
- Provided analysis of web metrics for key content and applications
- Scheduled, assigned and tracked all online travel content and maintenance projects
Publications Specialist, Energetics, Inc., Columbia, MD [1998 - 2000]
Provided editorial and web development support to government and industrial clients of energy consulting firm.
- Wrote and prepared technical materials (reports, brochures, briefings, program plans, fact sheets, proposals) and communication products (press advisories, newsletters, feature articles, speeches)
- Created and taught a writing course for junior staff
- Designed information architecture and edited content for client sites
- Oversaw core development team of engineers, programmers and graphic artists
- Coordinated and conducted client reviews
Technical Publications Lead for Defense Public Affairs, Teledyne Brown Engineering, Huntsville, AL [1996 - 1998]
Provided both editorial/content and public relations support to a variety of U.S. Department of Defense clients.
- Wrote, edited and produced technical documents (proposals, user manuals, test plans and reports, briefings, white papers) and corporate publications (newsletters, spec sheets)
- Wrote scripts, speeches, articles and press advisories
- Designed information architecture for prototype customer web sites
- Developed documentation standards/style sheets for individual programs
- Analyzed and reviewed customer publication needs (photography, video, CD, print)
- Oversaw publications team (coordinated graphics, design, photography, scheduling and production)
Assistant Director of Medical Alumni Affairs, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA [1995 - 1996]
Assisted the Executive Director with the planning, coordination and implementation of alumni programs and events.
- Created the information architecture for the Office of Development and Alumni Affairs web site
- Designed, wrote and edited newsletters and direct mail pieces
- Wrote and edited alumni section of the medical quarterly Tulane Medicine
MA in English, University of South Carolina, 1994
BA cum laude (major: English), Mount Holyoke College, 1991
awards & affiliations
- Board of Directors, Mount Holyoke College Alumnae Association
- Board of Trustees, Jericho (VT) Town Library
- President & Reunion Planner, Mount Holyoke College Class of 1991
- The Information Architecture Institute (IAI)
- Interaction Design Association (IxDA)
- Achievement Award, Society for Technical Communication, Washington, DC Chapter (1999-2000 Technical Publications Competition)
Please see my press and samples page for online samples of my published work.
UXD and print samples are available upon request.
I currently live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland but would be pleased to discuss both local and remotely located opportunities.
- voice: 919-265-3181
- email: info (at) juliannepuckett (dot) com
write . design